OT: Still Earlier Antedating of "Restaurant"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 14 19:26:32 UTC 2010

I completely agree with all of this. What is particularly interesting
is that there is absolutely no actual coding for language in older
books--the French and Latin books survive "English only" filter. Of
course, it's pointless to screen out the underlying errors because,
well, they are read as something else--so if GB splits restauratio
into "restaurat" and "in" (or, worse yet, just interprets the whole
thing as "restaurant"), nothing is gained by filtering out
"restauratio".

Unfortunately, this is manual-labour-heavy process. There is no easy
way around it.

But think how much easier it still is than doing all of this by hand!!
No searching capacity, no idea how far back to look, no helpful
WorldCat hints as to the actual identity of the book. I'll take GB as
is, even while grumbling loudly.

VS-)