prompt n.

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 15 21:39:34 UTC 2010

Sadly, no. You're not dreaming. I wish I could say that the
terminology evolved in response to the idea that "choice" is the wrong
word to have when only one "choice" is correct--that makes it no
choice at all (in one sense of "choice", at least). But I can't even
offer that solace. It's just part of the jargon and there need not be
any reason behind it. Just remember, when dealing with psychometrics
and US politics, you must time-travel to the time when Behaviorism was
a legitimate ideology in psychology. Reductionism, in general, has
great appeal for small minds and has swallowed some great ones as
well.

I am also not sure there is much improvement in history being written
by the losers--Mike Huckabee yesterday "observed" on his show that
George W. Bush was one of the most intelligent, humorous and
articulate presidents we've ever had, with his proudest moment coming
in Florida when he stood up to terror. I knew I wasn't dreaming, but I
had to check to be sure.

VS-)