antihero = 'anti-establishment hero'

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 16 01:59:56 UTC 2010

Well, he IS supposed to be a rogue, so could it be interpreted that way? I
mean, is the description of the underlying character or of his anti-heroic
qualities? I suppose, depending on how you read it, Robin Hood could be both
a prototypical hero and a prototypical anti-hero. I thought the whole
dramatic point (if there is one) of Robin Hood is that we are supposed to
see through the anti-heroic facade and recognize a real hero--whatever that
may be. To reverse the metaphor, there is a bit of Dillinger in Robin Hood
rather than Robin Hood in Dillinger.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/gangsters_outlaws/outlaws/dillinger/1.html

I am not trying to be contrarian. I completely agree that the semantics of
"anti-hero" has drifted significantly over the past three decades--not the
least of it because film is a different medium from literature. Seven
Samurai, Yojimbo had the heavy-handed traditional distinction. Now we get
The Dark Knight--and a bucketful of Spaghetti Westerns in between. Perhaps
if Robin Hood The Movie came first, he would have been a more complex
character. But he's getting a bit long in the tooth and all the film
versions are rather trite. ;-)

Besides, if it's good enough for Don Quixote, it should be good enough for
Robin Hood.

2000
http://books.google.com/books?id=nL0EYMp4OfUC&pg=PA85

VS-)