Query: "I've got your number."

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 17 05:59:47 UTC 2010

There can be no question that George Thompson is correct in his
observation--a number of sources from 1841 forward confirm this use of
"I've got your/his number", and I found references in a variety of US
and UK sources, including Alcott's novels. The problem is, the same
expression was used in a number of other contexts.

1) Cabs/Cab drivers (hansoms)--both US and UK
2) Policemen--UK
3) Bus (Omnibus) drivers--London
4) Regiment and other subdivision numbers--UK (from Wellington's
dispatches to commanders at Waterloo)--when someone relinquished a
command and was later commissioned again to the same rank, they often
wanted their old regiments/divisions/etc. back, but someone else might
have "got his number".
5) Very common references in British Commissions (Royal/Parliamentary)
who, while questioning witnesses, would respond to submitted records
(usually in advance, with copies held by witnesses) with "I've got
your number." I am not quite sure why it's "number" and not "numbers",
but that's what's on record. Of course, I did not search for "numbers"
so such references may be even more numerous. The bottom line is that
it was the same turn of phrase and used during the same period.

The earliest reference, by far, is (4), Wellington's dispatches in
1815. This is followed by (1) and (3), from the 1840s forward, (2) and
(5) from 1870s forward. (I only checked as far as 1890.)

There are a few other, apparently isolated references, such as hotel
room number that could be observed when the keys are handed over to
the porter or clerk (still common practice in Europe, but not US),
and, of course, generic use from 1840s forward.

I have most of the references covered, but don't have time to deal
with it now. I am not sure how helpful all of this is, as it seems to
muddy the scene more than resolving it. But one can't go wrong with
(1), even if it's an indication of a particular SES subclass. And full
credit to George.

VS-)