Q: Coiner of "power nap"? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Mar 17 19:00:51 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

It's unlikely that this article (from online Readers' Guide) didn't use
the word:

LARDNER, J. Onward and upward with the arts [Dictionary of American
underworld lingo]. The New Yorker v. 27 (December 1 1951) p. 101-2+

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Q: Coiner of "power nap"?

> --------
>
> Note well: another search tells me that the NYer never once printed
the
> word
> "slang" till 1966.
>
> Likelihood?
>
> JL
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Jonathan Lighter
> <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: Q: Coiner of "power nap"?

> ----------
> >
> > Perhaps surprisingly, a search of the New Yorker Archives reveals
> nothing
> > of
> > interest about "power nap" or "power napping," with or without the
> addition
> > of "Maas" or "Cornell."
> >
> > OTOH,  I get a slightly different list of hits for "power nap"
almost
> every
> > time I try, so I suppose it isn't entirely conclusive. But nothing
at
> all,
> > ever, for "Jim/James Maas."
> >

> > JL
> > On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:09 PM, C.Braham/H.Hankin
> <hocaga at verizon.net
> > >wrote:

> > > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > > Poster:       "C.Braham/H.Hankin" <hocaga at VERIZON.NET>
> > > Subject:      Re: Q: Coiner of "power nap"?

> > > It's James (Jim) Maas, professor of Psychology at Cornell.

12,

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2008/04/07/080407crbo_books