pr0n (1994) gamerpr0n pr0n* - words constructed from letters, numbers, and other characters

Wed Mar 17 23:33:08 UTC 2010

Victor Steinbok wrote
> How do they treat w00t and n00b, d00d?

The usual rationale offered for the construction of the term pr0n is
the avoidance of filters and searches. This is plausible, but terms
like w00t, n00b, and d00d were presumably not created to circumvent
filters or hide from searches.

Calculator spelling of the 1970s substituted upside-down numbers for
letters. For example, 3 becomes an E. I think this influenced Leet
(1337) Speak on bulletin boards in the 1980s, and B1FF slang on
Usenet. The term pr0n is rooted in this evolving slang. The Dictionary
of Computing connects it to B1FF slang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculator_spelling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIFF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B1ff

Of course, in cryptography numbers can be substituted for letters and
that field has a very long history. Influences before calculator
spelling are possible.