On the brink of kneeling

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Mar 18 00:12:52 UTC 2010

"Brought to the edge of its knees" looks like a blend to me: "That's what brought the country to the edge (of the cliff)" and "That's what almost brought the country to its knees."
Geithner probably had abundant opportunity to say or think both sentences, and so it's not surprising that he conflated them on at least one occasion.

Gerald Cohen
P.S. Thanks for all the replies on "I've got your number." I'll try to compile them into a brief article and will keep you posted. Due credit will of course be given all around.

Original mesage from Charles Doyle,  Wed 3/17/2010 7:19 AM:

Yessterday Timothy Geithner, being interviewed by Rachel Maddow, said, "That's what brought the country to the edge of its knees." (At least that what I heard him say.)

--Charlie