M is for meridian

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 19 03:30:27 UTC 2010

To put it another way, all the other X:00 times have the same "_M" suffix as
X:01, X:02...X:59. 5:01 PM comes right after 5:00 PM, not 5:00 AM or 5:00 W
or anything else. Calling noon 12 PM, and midnight 12 AM, simply extends
this simple consistency to the top of the dial. Insisting in 21st-century
English that "PM" can only be applied to times after mid-day -- post
meridiem (< (*?)medi-diem), and "AM" to times before mid-day, ante meridiem
-- amounts to etymological pedantry.

Mark Mandel
I'm not pompous, I'm pedantic. There's a difference; let me explain it to
you.