Q: "Leaguer" in Cooper's title?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Mar 20 21:09:33 UTC 2010

James Fenimore Cooper's title is _Lionel Lincoln: or, The Leaguer of
Boston_.  I don't find an applicable sense in the OED for "leaguer,
n.1"  The OED has senses of "1. A military camp, esp. one engaged in
a siege; an investing force." and " 2. A military investment,
siege."  But nothing that applies to a person.  Does Cooper's title
require such a sense?

I am also waiting until I reach the end of the novel to see whether
Cooper can fairly call Lincoln a "leaguer".  So far he has been only
a major in  the King's service, so he cannot be characterized as a
participant in a siege; rather, he is among the besieged in
Boston.  But Lincoln has now seemingly gone outside the British
lines, so perhaps he joins the besieging rebels later.

Joel