di Napoli, a Watertown

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 21 05:34:54 UTC 2010

The same is true in a number of places in Massachusetts--e.g., Brookline
and Newton streets in respective towns, Dedham Street in Newton changing
to Baker in Dedham (not quite a reversal), etc. And it's not just
Massachusetts--Milwaukee St. in Madison, WI, used to be the street
leading to the road to Milwaukee before being replaced by the
interstate, and, of course, it was not named "Milwaukee" 75 miles to the
East.

And, of course, Cambridge was initially known as Newtowne, but that was
long gone by the time Cambridge Street was named in Boston. Can't help
with the pond, unfortunately.

     VS-)