ept

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Mon Mar 22 11:28:46 UTC 2010

On Mar 22 2010, Wilson Gray wrote:

> I was thinking of _apt_ vs. _inept_ from the historical point of view.
> So, _ept_ as the positive of _inept_ sounded at first glance, so to
> speak, ridiculous and stupid. Now, my feeling is that it could be
> reasonably argued that _apt_ and _inept_, though historically connected,
> are totally distinct words. Or not.
>
>Cf., e.g.
>
>His response was _apt_ [precisely what needed to be said]
>
>vs.
>
>His response was _inept_ [?*not*? precisely what needed to be said]
>
>His response was _inept_ [precisely ?*not*? what needed to be said]
>
>IMO, they *still* don't quite feel like positive vs. negative.
>
>But, to resurrect a Larry-ism, YMMV.
>
>-Wilson

They don't _feel_ like formal antonyms to me either, for pretty much the
reasons you give below - but it's probably still just about plausible that
historically they are, especially if there was a raising influence from
preceding /n/ in _inapt > inept_. This would be much more plausible if the
/n/ were following, but other segments are known to have an influence on
their neighbours whether they follow or precede (/r/ (though its
phonological influence varies by language), /m/ (which backs back vowels,
or keeps them back if they would otherwise front in a dialect), /l/ (same
effect)). Does anyone know if the same can hold for /n/?

Damien