Q: "gold dust" used figuratively?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 26 17:16:56 UTC 2010

Since I've been challenged, how about, from the 18th century:

Some of the High Germans seem now to have rubb'd the French Gold-Dust
out of their Eyes, & begin to see that the French are but lukewarm in
the Emperor's Interest in the pretended mediation with the Ottoman Port.

This appeared only 1/3 of a century after the OED's earliest citation
for the literal meaning.

Joel