chocolate

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 27 01:18:53 UTC 2010

"Cahvvæ" is coffee, an exotic word treated as 1st declension, genitive
singular.

I got no hits for "Cahvvæ" (pasted from your post, with double v and an
a-e-ligature) in the second link, so I guessed and tried Cahvvae (unligated
"ae"). One hit, at http://tinyurl.com/y9km9ka -- at leaf 39, section C in
the original pagination (only right-hand pages are numbered, and each
half-page has an index letter in the margin). It appears as you gave it, but
the OCR read it as a+e. My transcription and translation:

Sic non solum Cahvvæ aut Coffi decoctum, sed Chocoladæ, denique herbæ Theé
Europæi condire saccharo instituti sunt...

So the Europeans established the custom of seasoning with sugar not only the
brew of Cahvva or Coffi, but of Chocolate, and indeed the herb Tea ...

Marcus Mandelensis