Girdle String --> G-string?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Mar 29 05:52:30 UTC 2010

--

Also styling variations, e.g., "gee-string", "gee string". There is also
"jee string" (1900, 1901, G. Books).

--

--

I think that's right. There are also G strings on guitars, cellos,
string basses, etc., I think.

Of course there is/was also "gee string" = "string for steering to the
right" (applied to horses and to dog teams, at G. Books, IIRC). Again no
evidence of any connection AFAIK.

--
--

There is also the theoretical possibility of "genital string", a
candidate for universal taboo-avoidance. This term is in fact equated to

Note that the term "G string" in some cases appears to refer to the
waist-band, in other cases to the front-and-back cloth strip, in other
cases to the whole assemblage.

Incidentally, another Spanish equivalent is the Mexicanism "sapeta"
(which is very difficult to find in Spanish dictionaries!).

-- Doug Wilson