txt abrvs in speech?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 30 01:01:02 UTC 2010

A student in our freshman seminar in Varieties of English (Raffaella
Zanuttini and I are co-instructors) is interested in tracking down
any previous research on the incorporation of texting abbreviations
(or, less commonly, acronyms) in speech.  Classic constructed
examples appear in the Cingular/AT&T commercials viewable at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIUcRJX9-o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySR3hpieiQc&feature=related

The student has already collected material in response to a
questionnaire he posted via Facebook but doesn't want to ignore
previous empirical investigations when he writes up his results.
Thanks for any pointers anyone can provide.

LH