No more "Christian name, sir?" in Kent, UK

Barbara Need bhneed at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 30 02:46:38 UTC 2010

It goes the other way as well. When I studied Chinese for my funny
language requirement at UChicago, my teacher named Ni3 Ba4 (I think I
have the tones right). I don't remember the character for my personal
name, but the family name character has three ears. Other students
also had Chinese names that were clearly based on the sounds of their
own names.

Barbara Need
Chicago

(I wonder what my nephew's Chinese teacher named him!)