Moses with horns --- PIE and Semitic word for "horn"

Tue Mar 30 16:43:21 UTC 2010

This is a real interesting one--about prehistoric IE/Afro-Asiatic
borrowings.  I remember writing to this forum ( I think) about the
possibility of Hebrew kosher and Greek katharos (pure) being related
(Proto-Semitic theta > Hebrew /S/; Proto-Semitic isolative long /A:A/
 > Tiberian and later Hebrew /o:/).  Turned out to be a red herring,
but does anyone know any other such borrowings, and which way they went?

Paul Johnston

P. S.  I used to work with Saul Levin at SUNY/Binghamton.  He's one
of those linguists who believed that the two language families were
ultimately descended from a common ancestor.  Some
"Nostraticists" (the common ancestor= Nostratic) also buy this, while
others go with a different grouping.  They use correspondences like
this as evidence.  Myself, I think they're more likely to be
borrowings, though I find the Nostratic theory fascinating.  Proving
it, however, I heard one colleague say, is like "trying to pull in a
one-watt college radio station based in Seattle while you're living
in London."