evolving language

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 31 17:55:03 UTC 2010

More on political language:

 From the Family Research Council blog, The Cloakroom:
http://bit.ly/cEF7RG
> However if it was argued during his two terms in office that *Bill
> Clinton was “our first black President”* because of his supposed
> liberal policies that would benefit African-Americans (though I’m not
> quite sure what President Clinton did, that he wasn’t forced to do,
> that would benefit any minority except for Chinese monks with
> political donations to spend.) With that argument *shouldn’t Barack
> Obama already be our “first gay President”* due to his liberal
> policies pushing the homosexual agenda?
[emphasis added]

Another one that I missed initially, but just noticed now. From Sarah
Palin's comments over the weekend:
> "[T]hat bumper sticker you see on the next Subaru driving by, an Obama
> bumper sticker. You should stop the driver and say, 'So how is that
> hopey, changey thing working out for you?'"

There is a load of stuff here, which is why I missed the new
point--apparently "Subaru" is now in the same category as "white wine"
and "brie". The video is here http://bit.ly/aMUc3A

VS-)