OT: language origin and creationism

Salikoko S. Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Mar 31 23:13:37 UTC 2010

Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:

> But then on what grounds would the student justify the article as the "best source"?  If she wished to say, "Yes, all the  authorities in linguistics say such-and-such, but here is my evidence that they're wrong," that would be one thing. But unless she does in fact have a scholarly (vs. religious) reason to challenge the scholarly communis opinio, I don't see how she can say that the article she chose is the best source.

SSM: Your earlier response did not leave room for her to present her
case. I think this would be one of the initial steps. You cannot refute
a position that has not been articulated/explained.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1010 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/mufwene