More broadcast journalism

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 1 14:09:04 UTC 2010

If overall the *rates* were similar, the fact that NYC is extraordinarily
crowded and Arizona is quite the opposite would have some bearing on
interpretion.

Since big cities usually have higher crime rates than deserts, similar rates
in thsi case might indicate that something unusual was affecting the Arizona
rate, but what that might be could not be determined from the information
given.

TV news is often careless about distinguishing rate of occurrence from
number of occurrences. ("Crime rate" sometimes seems to cover both the
incidence and the number of incidents - or "incidences" as they generally
say on TV.) They're worse on the difference between "per cent" and
"percentage points."

I think they're better with these distinctions than formerly, but that's
just my impression.

JL