OT: More broadcast journalism

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 1 19:01:18 UTC 2010

Doesn't the OED's date distribution suggest that Hawthorne resurrected a
term that was effectively long obsolete?

One doubts that people who think of Obama as a possible Antichrist are
probably not influenced by 17th C. idioms, even if some of them once had to
read _The Scarlet Letter_.

To put things into perspective, there was some blog talk, apparently
beginning with the invasion of Iraq, that President Bush was the Antichrist,
but that seemed to me to be primarily jocular. Maybe it wasn't.

It does seem to be a fact, though, that Obama is the first President so
widely suspected of being a possible Antichrist, a domestic enemy, a foe of
the Constitution, a resident alien, etc., that the questions were
thought worth asking in a reputable national survey.

(Not even Lincoln got hit with "resident alien.")

JL