"Guinea" etymology

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun May 2 19:14:13 UTC 2010

--

I think so. In fact, after about 1880 and especially after about 1890, I
think.

--
--

When I asserted that I believe "Guinea" was (nearly) entirely restricted
to Italians in the late 19th century, I was referring to stand-alone

I don't think one can infer from "New Guinea" = "'African' neighborhood"
that there was a current term "Guinea" = "'African' person" any more
than "Little Havana" = "'Cuban' neighborhood" implies the currency of
"Havana" = "'Cuban' person".

-- Doug Wilson