"Guinea" etymology

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 3 06:17:59 UTC 2010

"classification" of "negroes" and "Guinea negro" was identified as
being "more stupid than other kinds".

The reporting of this kind of thinking on the part of slave-drivers
lasted at least through the publication of the Mandingo novels by Kyle
Onstott, beginning in 1957, and reprinted in paperback for a couple of
dekkids or more after that, and a couple of movies, beginning in 1975.

-Wilson

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "Guinea" etymology
>
> I posted two links for "Guinea negro" last Thursday that I grabbed from
> GB. One was Cooper's Red Rover. The other was some random text. But I
> was only looking at 1830-50, and even then only did a partial search.
>
> http://bit.ly/bJ7kSz
>
> http://bit.ly/b1CYIb
>
> I thought it was interesting that a piece in 1843 Knickerbocker referred
> to the New Guinea district identified therein as "African settlement".
> Elsewhere, I saw a reference to "classification" of "negroes" and
> "Guinea negro" was identified as being "more stupid than other kinds". I
> did nor record the location at the time.
>
> What I did not do before posting is search GNA. So I made up for that
> now. And the results are rather telling.
>
> Looking backwards, the latest citation for "Guinea Negro" was from a
> February 2009 Miami Herald column by Leonard Pitts which was reproduced
> by a number of newspapers and websites nation-wide in the two weeks that
> followed (last week of February and first week of March). The column was
> the quote with "Guinea Negro" was picked up from an 1899 Atlanta
> Constitution.
>
> http://bit.ly/9emYIg
>> "An original Guinea negro whose blood has not been crossed is as
>> docile as a shepherd dog." --The Atlanta Constitution, June 4, 1899
>
> The hits from 1920 forward all contain old quotes from the 1800s, except
> one that refers to "British Guinea Negro". From 1900 to 1913, it is more
> interesting:
>
> BLOT ON MAP OF FAIR BERKSHIRE
> Pay-Per-View - Boston Daily Globe - ProQuest Archiver - Dec 19, 1903
> ... leader of the "New Guinea negro district, and chairman Boardman of
> the school committee had a heated argument over the school committee s
> edict. ...
>
> WHO OWNED SLAVES WERE REDUCED TO POVERTY in I'll CIVIL .
> Reading Eagle - Google News Archive - Aug 10, 1913
> ... the Guinea nigger was looked down on by members of su perior tribe?,
> and one of a higher race often felt that a Guinea negro was fit only to
> serve him. ...
>
> NEGRO KNEW NAPOLEON.; John Francis Observed Fallen Conqueror's …
> New York Times - Mar 17, 1912
> To the Editor o[ The Ncw Yort; Timcs: Your article headed "lh at St.
> Helella" brings to my mind *to fact that in 1860 a Guinea negro by the
> name of John I; ...
>
> Waifs of the Time A Pathetic Story of the Little Southern "Darky"
> Pay-Per-View - Atlanta Constitution - ProQuest Archiver - Aug 10, 1902
> ... know that while they were jolly and un- complaining and had a
> dialect that would make easy by comparison the Jargon of a South
> Carolina Guinea negro, ...
>
> In particular, note the first (Boston) hit that refers to the "New
> Guinea district". The Atlanta Constitution gets a number of hits
> [...]

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain