"Guinea" etymology

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 3 15:09:12 UTC 2010

Oops!  My blunder.  Perhaps from not thinking that Guinea hens would
"live" somewhere, or stay up late at night.  Or remembering Brer Fox,
who would be interested in the hen-house.

However, the other "Guinea" not as an adjective is genuine (unless birds talk):
      "Helvington: a dramatic story in five acts" (Memphis: Bulletin
Pub. Co., 1867), page 10:
      "NED W.  Oh, that is old Crow. He's a Guinea negro. MRS. S. How
interesting! A Guinea? Do introduce me, I wish
to converse with him."

Joel