"Connecring the dots": origin?

Tue May 4 01:09:10 UTC 2010

I think that the game Wilson Gray describes is found under the name
"Dots and Boxes" at Wikipedia. Here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_and_boxes

dot noun (OED Sept 2006 draft) to connect (also join) the dots and variants:
(originally) to draw lines linking numbered points arranged on a page
so as to form a picture; (hence fig. and in similes) to integrate
discrete elements into a cohesive whole; to make connections between
ideas, to draw conclusions.

First OED cite is 1915. 1915 Charleston (W. Va.) Mail 23 Nov. 9/5 To
solve the Great Dot Mystery, join the dots with a pencil line... Begin
with dot No. 1 and take them in numerical order.

I looks like GB has earlier matches but I cannot review them carefully
right now.

Also dot noun  (OED Sept 2006 draft) b. connect-the-dots  (also
join-the-dots): the (children's) activity of linking dots with lines
to form a picture; ... First cite is 1965.

The game Victor Steinbok describes is probably "Sprouts" at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprouts_%28game%29

Garson