More broadcast journalism

Baker, John M. JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue May 4 15:19:41 UTC 2010

        I'm not an academic, but as a lawyer I would call these
misleading and pejorative characterizations.  Note that some of these
characterizations can be one but not the other.

        If you're looking for something less judgmental, then I would
say that the passage is written from a particular perspective.  Another
way of saying this, as Jon has already suggested, is that the writing is
"slanted."

        The journalist who wrote this passage would probably argue that
his or her role was to describe the subject's actions in a way that
would explain police interest in them, and using Jon's more neutral
language would not have accomplished that.  To put it somewhat
differently (I can't resist just a bit of snark), it was merely
corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an
otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Joel S. Berson
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:43 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: More broadcast journalism

At 5/4/2010 01:57 AM, Mark Mandel wrote:

>"loaded"?

Nearly, but I'm looking for something perhaps less slangy and more
academic.  The practice I'm repelled by is the choice of words to add
an emotional overtone to a statement so as to bias the reader's
reaction. For a quick example in the absence of better ones,
"So-and-so's irrational decision to whatever ...".

The OED tells me "loaded" = charged, burdened, laden, etc.  Perhaps
"emotionally charged language" (Jon's "loaded diction" is perhaps a
bit abstruse for historians, but "innuendo" might work in a
well-constructed phrase.)  Another sense is "1. d. fig. Charged with
some hidden implication or underlying suggestion; biased,
prejudiced", but biased and prejudiced didn't seem quite what I wanted.

(My first reading of ""Loaded diction" is what we called it in
freshman comp." was "freshman camp"!  I thought to myself, my Jon
started early.)

Thanks,
Joel