yoda as a generic

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue May 4 16:14:56 UTC 2010

It's been around a while. From Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Season 3, "School
Hard," shooting script 7/30/1997, by David Greenwalt:

Spike talking to Angel: "You think you can fool me? You were my sire,
man...you were my Yoda!"

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Amy West
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 7:19 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: yoda as a generic

(I did a quick search of the since-1999 ADS-L archive and the
before-April-2008 Language Log archive before posting this: I
apologize if I missed something.)

I spotted this use of "yoda" as generic -- equivalent to "guru" -- in
the Boston Globe yesterday:

I am drawn to Prohibition, as I am to all catastrophes, so I turn to
Prohibition yoda Dan Okrent for enlightenment. Okrent is author of
the forthcoming book "The Last Call: the Rise and Fall of
Prohibition."

--Sam Allis, Boston Globe, May 3, 2010, p. 23, G section

http://www.boston.com/ae/events/articles/2010/05/03/remembering_the_dark_day
s_during_the_nations_dry_times/

---Amy West