yoda as a generic

Tue May 4 17:53:37 UTC 2010

I was just trying to find a polite way of saying that this seems to me to be a somewhat trivial pursuit from a linguistic point of view. But there is no law against trivial pursuit, especially on this list-serv. But I so think it is important to get the terminology straight (and I think I have).

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
Date:         Tue, 4 May 2010 13:42:14
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] yoda as a generic

Ron, are you auditioning for Grinch or for Scrooge? Or are you trying to
genericize your own name?

I know, I know--you're one of the happiest people you know. And I can
outgrump you any day.

Fine... you don't like genericization in this case. I don't see the
problem, but I'll grant you the point. Would you settle for a
"snowclonelet" of "the Yoda of X"? That does not solve the problem of
"my Yoda", but it does address this particular usage, does it not?

     VS-)