Rat-tail(ed) [comb and] broom

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed May 5 14:51:44 UTC 2010

At 5/4/2010 09:36 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>My mother also used a type of comb that she called a "rat-tailed"
>comb. She was also an East-Texan: born in Longview, reared in
>Marshall.

Did the comb look like and was it used like the
one in the video one can see on the web?  (Google "rat-tail comb".)

I associate "rat-tail comb" with one having a
long handle (as contrasted with one having
bristles up to each end), but not being much into
feminine hair styling I was not familiar with the
ratty tail (narrow diameter, too narrow for a
facile handle) and the use videoed.

I have something similar to Wilson's description
of his "ignorance stick", only it is of course
not pushed, that has soft "bristles" and is
useful for cleaning up fine particles.  I too,
like his wife, call it a "dust broom" (NY City),
not a "rat-tail broom".  There's a picture of
something similar to mine at
http://www.bobbyberkhome.com/show_product/25413/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=25413

Joel