"Methamphetamine prose"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 6 13:53:51 UTC 2010

It may be ancient. I'd mainly use it to avoid a following infinitive
phrase.  "Remember about IP" is that you don't have to think of a precise
and unnecessary IP.

"Did you remember about the groceries?" = "Did you remember to go to the
grocery store and buy groceries?"

"Did you remember about Comcast?" = "Did you remember to phone Comcast and
tell them to get somebody over here to fix the cable pronto?"

I would not say, "Do you remember about the Carter administration?" ( =
simply remember it). The "remember about" construction implies something
specific that is yet to be expressed.

If "remember about"  occurs solely in the presence of contextual clues to
precisely what's intended, it probably isn't a lexical unit. It's just
"remember" plus "about."

JL