Rat-tail(ed) [comb and] broom

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 6 14:03:32 UTC 2010

HDAS has _ignorant stick_ (in the related sense of "a shovel or a hoe") only
back to 1957. Not surprising for non-jazz BE slang, which is poorly
represented in print before the '70s. "Ignorance stick" is a variant.

The similar _idiot stick_ (again, a shovel or similar implement) is recorded
from 1930 in WE.

GB reveals a recording by Red Allen, "Get the Mop (The Ignorant Stick)" from
late 1945 or very early '46.

JL