Rat-tail(ed) [comb and] broom

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat May 8 18:08:57 UTC 2010

Nobody in this thread  (IIRC) has mentioned being reminded, as I
have, of the "tools of ignorance", i.e. the catcher's gear in
baseball, which as I understood was so called because only the really
dumb kids would be willing to catch.  I see on one site that the
expression is attributed to Muddy Ruel, Walter Johnson's catcher with
the Senators in the 1920s; Ruel was also a lawyer, so I assume he was
speaking with some irony if he really was the innovator of the
dysphemism.

LH