Short take: "smiley face" - OED WOTD

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 10 03:13:15 UTC 2010

The 1971 lamp ad is without doubt a black-and-yellow standard image.
There is a picture in the ad and you can clearly see the design--in
fact, it's a ball design, as well as the Ball design. The craft 1968
design seems to be the same image. But I would certainly argue that
the OED definition uses the Ball design as an example of a smiley
face, not as the prototype. When teachers sign student papers with a
"smiley face", they do not use the trademarked design--they usually
draw a checkmark with two dots for eyes.

What would be the reason not to have a "smiley face" as a "special
compound", as the OED seems to file them, back in 1957? Does it have
to be trademarked to be "special"? More importantly, how is the 1968
one different from 1957? Even if one reproduces a famous design and
the other does not, the actual usage is similar. Remember, the phrase
"smiley face" was not trademark--just the black-and-yellow design.

VS-)