Box Score etc. (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon May 10 17:37:51 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Nothing in the Sporting Life at the LA84 database before 1905, after
which it seems to become very common.  Too bad the Sporting News from
Paper of Record is still hosed up.

Birmingham AL State Herald 1896-06-18; p 2 col 1
"It was on the slate for Katz to figure in the left garden, but judging
from the absence of his name in the box score, it is presumed that he
had not gotten over the bag with which he was credited on Tuesday
night."

Birmingham AL State Herald 1896-06-26; p 4 col 2
"While the press report lays the blame for the loss of the game at Joe
Katz's door, the summary and box score fail to bear out the statement."

The Galveston Daily News, (Houston, TX) Sunday, April 25, 1897; pg. 3;
col 2
"Glance at the box score and note the manner in which Captain Weikart
arranges his batting order."

Related term "leader board" from golf.

Beckley WV Post Herald 7/27/1950 p 9 col 1
"He also plans on having an eight by sixteen foot leader board that will
be plainly visible from the area adjacent to the 18th green and he
clubhouse."

Dallas Morning News 1963-07-19; Section: 2 Page: 1 col 3
[photo caption]"While Dick Hart forged a 3-stroke PGA lead, the leader
board told of lesser feats."

---------------
> [...]
> one as a single word, but it /is/ listed as "scatter diagram" under
> Scatter n. 5. This one, however, precedes Tukey by four decades. I
> appreciate that it's mentioned at all, but current usage is much more
> likely to be "scatterplot" as one or two words, sometimes hyphenated.
> "Scatter diagram" is less frequent today (although the difference in
> GB hits over the past 20 years is only 25%).
>
> I don't have a copy of Tukey's seminal work on the subject
> (Exploratory Data Analysis), but every library has a copy. Note,
> however, that some of his suggestions have not taken off and several
> had their names modified over time. But the two above
> (Box-and-Whiskers and Stem-and-Leaf) are quite common and are now of
> some importance in education. After all, if we are teaching them as
> terms in primary school textbooks, they should be in dictionaries too.
> I'd be less concerned if they were limited to high-school books.
>
> VS-)
>
> PS: a quick run through GB gives "1904 AP bulletin" for "box score".
> But the year is wrong. The text is actually from 1910 (November 6).
>
> http://bit.ly/95jWfV
>
> > WORLD'S CHAMPIONSHIP BASEBALL.
> > The world's championship baseball series, played at Philadelphia and
> Chicago, was handled with exceptional thoroughness and brought out
many
> commendatory telegrams and letters from newspaper editors. The games
> were reported play-by-play, direct from the grounds and practically
> instantaneous, followed immediately on the conclusion of the game with
> box-score and brief bulletin lead.
> > The plans worked with the precision of clockwork. At Philadelphia
the
> trunk wires were in direct communication with the ball park, with
loops
> to the local and state papers. Mr. Abrams of the Philadelphia office
> dictated the graphic description of the game by innings to an operator
> from that office, Mr. Weadon on the first game and Mr. Bartholomew on
> the second. The comprehensive story early in the day, with line-up,
> etc., and the descriptive night lead came from Mr. Reitinger of the
> Philadelphia office. The report was marked throughout by the unvarying
> precision and promptness with which every detail came through. At the
> close of the first day's game, the Spokane Chronicle telegraphed:
> "Congratulations on rapid and satisfactory report of championship
> baseball gime to-day. Chronicle beat all competitors by twenty-five
> minutes." Atlanta also reported conditions in the South as follows: '
> Opposition beaten out of sight on base' all."
> > The handling of the Chicago end of the championship games, which won
> general apptoval for the crispness, sprightliness anc! accuracy of the
> report, was the work of Christian D. Hagerty and W. P. F. Hayes. Mr.
> Hagerty dictated the running story of the game play-by-play, and wrote
> the leads, while Mr. Hayes took care of the box-score for
instantaneous