"NOT cheap imitations, but genuine replicas!" [NT]

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 13 17:30:12 UTC 2010

460 GB hits for "genuine replica(s)". No, I am not kidding.

Among the first 30 hits the date range is 1886-2005, including this
1886 travel guide:

> VI. Room: Genoese masters, such as: Strozzi, Portrait of a prelate; also, Titian, Mary Magdalene, a genuine replica of an oft-recurring subject, the landscape only free from retouching; Guercino, The tribute money.

And this one from 1890 Good Housekeeping:

> " Now, this work of art, madam," remarked the dealer " is a replica of the famous picture in the Corcoran gallery at Washington." " Well," replied Mrs. Taudree, eying the picture critically, " if you'll guarantee that it's a genuine replica, I'll take it."

Compare that to the 2001 Martin Gardner book:

> They are genuine replicas, not pseudo-replicas as in the scenarios by Reichenbach and Putnam.

Also Teach Yourself Lotus Notes 7 (2005):

> Each database has a unique replica ID that identifies it as a genuine replica and not just a copy of the ...

[Presumably the missing text refers to data, but the page is not
available in GB.]

As I said, all of these appear on the first page of GB search (set to
30 hits per page).

VS-)