on my six

Geoffrey S. Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Fri May 14 10:13:07 UTC 2010

This is one of Wilson's 'WAG's', but 'on my six' must derive from the directional terminology related to clocks (referred to later in the post with respect to sailing).

If so, it dates back at least to WW II, because it would be parallel to such phrases as 'twelve o'clock high' (i.e. directly in front of, and above you, used in aerial combat). A well-known book with the latter title appeared in 1948, with a movie of it made the next year. 'On my six' would, of course, mean 'directly behind me'. The use of possessives with the construction is common.

I suspect the use is much older than that.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)