thumb the nose

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 14 13:20:46 UTC 2010

I think George means "cocking a snook."

I can't remember much about Taylor's article either (or why it's called "The
Shanghai Gesture").  I do know that the gesture long antedates WW1.

Also, as I may have noted here some years ago, when I was shown the gesture
in second grade, the little girl said specifically that it meant "Kiss my
ass!"

This may have been true, since parents seemed objected to the gesture (even
between kids) rather strongly.  (Naivete' note:  I didn't learn the "finger"
gesture till the fifth grade. Using it was understood to be like going
nuclear: a direct slugfest invite.)

JL