vegetable terms

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri May 14 19:30:36 UTC 2010

In the American South, we commonly refer to green/string beans as "snap beans" or "pole beans" (not parallel or distinguishing terms; "snap" refers to the manner of preparation for cooking; "pole" refers to the procedure for raising beans in the garden).

It's my impression that the term "Englilsh pea" is becoming less common, with simply "pea" mainly serving the purpose--even in the South, where (green) English peas are not necessarily the default kind of peas. In the olden days, at least, "peas" alone would probaby have signified (brownish) blackeyed peas or field peas.

And recently at a restaurant, my wife having just ordered a sweet potato, I aimed for maximum lucidity by specifying that I wanted an "Irish potato." The server had no idea what I was talking about; my wife helpfully translated my quaint terminology as "baked potato" (even though her sweet potato was also to be baked).

Charlie