confused by fruits in Barcelona

Fri May 14 19:55:02 UTC 2010

We are not alone with these problems. I just had dinner in a restaurant in Barcelona where "naranja" in Spanish was translated as "toronja" in Catalan--which  (if my memory is correct) means 'grapefruit' in Spanish. Further complicating matters, the Catalan word for 'grapefruit' is close in pronunciation (or so I was told) to "taronja" (somebody who knows these languages better than I do can perhaps sort out the spellings for me?).
------Original Message------
From: Geoff Nathan
Sender: ADS-L
To: ADS-L
ReplyTo: ADS-L
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] vegetable terms
Sent: May 14, 2010 9:43 PM

This evokes one of my cookbook pet peeves. It is very difficult to find recipes for these things because cookbooks never agree on what to call them. Sometimes you can find them under 'beans, green/string/pole...', but other times under 'string' or 'green' or something.
Just for fun I checked epicurious.com and found that 'string' and 'green' beans in 2 quick searches led to non-overlapping sets of recipes.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)