confused by fruits in Barcelona

Federico Escobar federicoescobarcordoba at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 15 00:34:33 UTC 2010

I can't answer the questions about Catalan, but the puzzlement you are
experiencing with fruit terms in Spanish is a common experience for speakers
of Spanish. The language is treacherously fragmented when it comes to food
vocabulary. It is difficult to have a fluid dialogue about food (and
clothing, but that's another matter) across regional boundaries, which can
exist within a same country in Latin America and notoriously between Latin
American countries and Spain. A single example will serve: in Spain, beans
are commonly called "judías"; in Colombia, they are called "fríjoles" (or
frijoles, with the accent on the penultimate syllable); in Puerto Rico, they
are called "habichuelas". If you try using these terms in different places,
you're likely to get puzzled looks or a whole different product.

Your instinct is right about "toronja", which does mean "grapefruit" in what
we could call normative Spanish. An official (state-funded) Catalan
translator reports "aranja" as the translation for "grapefruit" and
"taronja" as the translation for "orange." You can find the translator here:
http://traductor.gencat.cat/jsp/go2text.jsp?locale=es
And you can see what fertile ground there is for interfruit and
interlanguage confusion.

F.