thumb the nose

Geoffrey S. Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Sat May 15 20:28:45 UTC 2010

It happens that I do have Kluge, who says of 'Schnauze' (translating roughly)
'Attested since the 16th century, also as schnausse (which might be the expected
phonological form). Modern Low German snüt, Middle English snoute, Modern English snout.'
Pfeifer's Etymologisches Wöterbuch des Deutschen (Berlin: Akademie-Verlag) has a similar story.
FWIW.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)