Clashing slang

Mon May 17 19:29:00 UTC 2010

In Iowa in the 1950s he did not bang her, he DIDDLED her.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Date:         Mon, 17 May 2010 13:41:14
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      [ADS-L] Clashing slang

Back in 1949(?), I read a story by Damon Knight entitled, "Not With a
Bang." This title struck me as so hip that it introduced me to, and
made me a fan of, T.S. Eliot, one of Saint Louis's most famous native
sons. Only a few moments ago, however, did it strike me that this
title is a pun.

The story is about a jerk, probably the last man on earth, who
ultimately fails in his efforts to seduce a woman, probably the last
woman on earth, so as to begin the repopulation of the world with
humanity.

_Bang_ as a slang term meaning

"engage(ment) in sexual intercourse"

does not exist in the BE of my generation. However, by sheer
coincidence, the old, (white) college drinking-song with the words,

"He banged her once / He banged her twice / He banged her once too often ..."

was running through my mind. Then... *Flash!* It hit me:

"This is the way the world ends / *Not* with a_bang_"!
--
-Wilson
–––