Legalistics

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed May 19 15:54:34 UTC 2010

I'm not confused. Perhaps you meant Bill.

Bill is right in that neither Jewell nor Hatfill confessed, but they are
both cases where it was widely assumed that and reported as if they were in
fact guilty (in the actual, not legal sense), when in fact they both were
innocent (both actually and legally). It is the professional reportorial
discipline of not making assumptions that is important, and even more so in
high-profile cases where there is incredible pressure on both law
enforcement and journalists to get the culprit.

And no confession should be assumed to be valid until it has been proven in
a court. Confessions are retracted all the time and false confessions under
the pressure of interrogation are a well-known phenomenon.

Also, there are several layers of filters between you and the facts in this
case. There is the filter of the media. And the reporters' sources are
probably not the actual investigating officers, but rather supervisors and
public affairs officials (who have an agenda, usually benign, but an agenda
nonetheless) or others involved peripherally with the case who may or may
not have now the actual facts and situation. These filters contribute to
misreporting of facts. (Go back and read about what actually happened at
Columbine, for example, and you will be shocked at how badly the reporters
mangled--and continue to mangle to this day--the basic facts of the case;
e.g., Harris and Klebold were not members of the "trench coat mafia," their
main plan was to plant bombs (which did not detonate) and not shoot people,
etc.)

Again, I have no reason to doubt this confession in particular, it's just
that false confessions and falsely assumed guilt are common enough that no
professional journalist should ever report a person's guilt until it has
been established in court. As Ron says, it's not the journalist's role to
"guess as to the outcome."

Now that I've got the off-topic rant off my chest, I'm going to drop it.