Quote about good times, women and Irish whiskey (antedating Tug McGraw 1975 April 21)

Wed May 19 17:21:37 UTC 2010

The Yale Book of Quotations has an entertaining quote from baseball
relief pitcher Tug McGraw. Here is a cite a couple years earlier
[TUG]:

Tug McGraw, Phillies' pitcher, on his $75,000 salary: "Ninety percent
I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other 10% I'll
probably waste."

[TUG] 1975 April 21, Sports Illustrated, They Said It edited by Jerry
Kirshenbaum, Page 16, Time Inc. (Sports Illustrated Vault Online, Page
number based on digital view of full issue)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1089761/index.htm

I searched for this when writing a blog post about the quote "Part
went for liquor, part for women, and the rest I spent foolishly"
(1936). This topic was discussed earlier in the ADS list.
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/19/gambling-women/

Garson