arKANsas (P.S.)

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Wed May 19 18:56:17 UTC 2010

OTOH, the river is generally referred to as the arKANsas river except,
apparently, in Arkansas.
DAD

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Joel S. Berson
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:46 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: arKANsas (P.S.)

At 5/19/2010 10:31 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>Oops, I see what you're getting at.  Nobody pronounces the last two
>"a"s of Arkansas "with the Italian sound".  The first one, yes.
>Guess the legislators got carried away.

I use three different A's.  I seem to be just one of "those of us
with too many low vowels."  Can that be regionalized like the
legendary merry/marry/Mary?

And I guess I should stay out of, and not run for office in,
Arkansaw.  (The state legislative resolution applies only to
pronunciation, so I presume I am safe -- at least according to the
resolution in question!)

Joel

03:26:00