Stolen valor was Re: Vietnam

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 21 12:56:22 UTC 2010

G. B. Burkett & Glenna Whitley published a 1998 book on exactly this topic
titled _Stolen Valor_.  It's a fairly common phenomenon.

I knew such a prevaricator in grad school in the '70s. He was a law student,
otherwise a great guy, who suavely maintained that he'd served in combat in
Vietnam. He didn't allude to it much, just enough to be convincing.
Eventually he fessed up that he hadn't even been in the service.  I can't
remember what brought on the confession.

We thought the whole thing was weird and sad.

JL