NYT Reporting [Was: Vietnam and What else Blumenthal said] (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri May 21 17:27:59 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "David A. Daniel" <dad at POKERWIZ.COM>
> Subject:      Re: NYT Reporting [Was: Vietnam and What else Blumenthal
> said]

> --------
>
> >>The fact is that he did NOT "lie."<<
>
> We all heard him say "in Vietnam" - that was a lie.

Your idea of what a lie is is different than mine.  To me, there must me
an attempt to deceive before it could be characterized as a lie.
Otherwise, it's just a misstatement or a mistake.

It may be that he was actually trying to convince people that he was in
Vietnam, but that has not been demonstrated to the point that I'd be
comfortable using the word "lie".