Silent double-L?

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 21 19:37:40 UTC 2010

>From thefreedictionary.com

pail·lard (p-yär) n. (the i with macron did not copy for the first vowel)
A slice of veal, chicken, or beef that is pounded until very thin and cooked quickly.    [Origin unknown.]

The pronunciation as spoken by clicking the UK flag is ~paelid PAY-lid
But the foespel is without an "l" and clicking the speaker icon near the word renders spoken ~pieyyaar  pie-YAHR

see truespel.com phonetic spelling