another meaning reversal

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 23 00:47:39 UTC 2010

At 7:51 PM -0400 5/22/10, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>... like "he could care less".

Interesting.  Only three other hits for the hyponegative "with so
much as a peep" (i.e. the positive form with negative meaning), all
in legal/political contexts, compared to 91,400 for "without so much
as a peep".  So (some will say thankfully) no threat yet to the gold
standard of hyponegs, "could care less" or "that'll teach you".

LH