Vietnam

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 24 00:35:33 UTC 2010

At 8:19 PM -0400 5/23/10, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>Just to put numbers in perspective:
>
>There are about 8 million Vietnam veterans.
>If 800 veterans were spat on, that means only 1 in every 10,000 were.
>Do we know how many hundreds of thousands of veterans were spoken to by
>Lembke? If he only spoke to 20,000 or 30,000, it wouldn't be
>statistically surprising he didn't find any.
>
>DanG

Again, it's not really a matter of numbers (as I mentioned in my
controlled survey; what he did was track down the reports of vets
being spat at in airports and ascertaining that none of the reports
were based on first-hand testimony or had other evidence (beyond the
friend-of-a-friend) to support them.  And further, that very similar
stories have popped up at other times, always purveyed by those with
a specific agenda (see his comments on the stab-in-the-back legend in
his remarks at http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2007/02/02/04
but in much more detail in the book itself).  And that in the Vietnam
case the spitting-at-the-airport stories didn't begin popping up
until 1980, five years after the fall of Saigon.

LH